It is sooooo cold! My poor Mojo doggie has to lick his paws for 10 minutes after coming in from outside, poor guy. I hate this time of winter. It is too cold to do something outside, there is never anything exciting happening and the days just draaaag on. #winterfail
I just started a new strength program and I am so excited about it! I have gotten real weak since the summer and I am looking forward to building that strength back and gain even more. Hence, why sweet potatoes have been on my brain. You can work until the cows come home in the gym but, if your nutrition isn’t in check you aren’t going to get very far. To gain lean mass and lose fat the best post workout meal/snack should consist of protein and carbohydrates. Protein will aid with the building and toning of your muscles. Now girls, I promise you if you take a protein supplement YOU WILL NOT GET BULKY. Women are not genetically made like men but more on that a different day. Carbs will aid in the recovery of your muscles. During a workout, your muscles are depleted and a post workout carb will restore the muscles for a quicker recovery period. If you are sore for multiple days after a workout, eat more carbs! For the most benefits of the protein and carbs is to have them within an hour of working out.
These muffins are so easy to make, no added sugar and a grab-and-go item to take with you to the gym to have right after you workout!
- 1 sweet potato, baked
- 1 banana
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or any nut butter of choice)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wrap the sweet potato in tin foil and bake for 45-60 minutes. When the sweet potato is soft to the touch, it is done.
- Remove sweet potato from oven and unwrap from tin foil. Cut the sweet potato in half to quicken the cooling process. Sit and let fully cool.
- Reduce oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl add sweet potato, banana, eggs, coconut oil and almond butter. Blend until smooth with a hand mixer or immersion blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the mixture (coconut flour, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Grease the muffin tin with coconut oil or place with muffin tin liners.
- Fill each muffin cup ½ - ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until you stick a toothpick in one and it comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container